Airwolf
 Directors Cut The Movie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kalasadi Offline

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  08:12:27  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok this would probably never happen but anyone else wish that the Fantastic 18 VHS of Shadow of the Hawke (Pilot) was actually put with the TV version where things are explained a bit more as a Directors Cut? Of course the novel by Ron Renauld is excellent too.

I tend to watch the VHS first then get out the DVD and watch back to back!

With many of the differences between region 1 and 2 etc one does wonder how much footage is actually out there and that would make a GREAT Directors Cut.

"Cute, Cuddly, Woolly Little Lambs!"
________________________________________________________________________________________
Go to my home page to read Airwolf Novel And I, Vice Versa, AW2 Legacy, AW3 Rule the World and coming soon Lies and Shadows

Enjoy!

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:29:29  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought that occurred to me as to why The Movie version wasn't included in any of the DVDs is that it, being rated 18, would then have made the entire box set an 18, and therefore unaccessible to a lot of people. Maybe Universal wanted to play it safe. It wouldn't have been the first time one of their DVD sets had been given a higher rating than expected because of one episode; in the UK, series one of Buck Rogers missed out on a PG rating and got a 12 rating instead, just because of a line in an episode that could be misheard as bad language.

"Hey, String!"
Go to Top of Page

corvettekid_7684 Offline

United States
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  18:21:24  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the swearing in the "movie" version is just ridiculous anyways, and was only added to achieve an "R" rating, because such movies are more popular.

I created my own "movie" version that had the extra scenes (and sometime better scenes) sliced in, but without the language. You'd be surprised at how different they are...
Anyways, I always planned to do it again, with better editing, so I gave that copy away and never got around to making another one.

Anyways, to me it was the best version :D

"Bring the attack computer online and stand by for turbo ignition"
Go to Top of Page

darkstar98 Offline
Starter Member

United States
7 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  23:30:59  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you guys mind sharing some of the differnces between the Directors cut and the one on the Season 1 DVD. I always thought that WAS the special version. I know USA aired a shorter version of the movie, that cut scenes from the DVD version.
Go to Top of Page

Martin G. Grant Offline
Star Member

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  00:52:58  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by corvettekid_7684

All the swearing in the "movie" version is just ridiculous anyways, and was only added to achieve an "R" rating, because such movies are more popular.

I created my own "movie" version that had the extra scenes (and sometime better scenes) sliced in, but without the language. You'd be surprised at how different they are...
Anyways, I always planned to do it again, with better editing, so I gave that copy away and never got around to making another one.

Anyways, to me it was the best version :D

Any chance you got doing that better edit sometime soon, like in the Summer? I'd be really interested in seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  12:16:02  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that the swearies in The Movie occur when a character has their back to the camera, or is in the distance, so that you might be hard pressed to see if the dialogue matches the lip movements. In one case, when String and Gabrielle are talking in his cabin and it's the middle of the night, they're practically in silhouette and it's hard to say if String's "swearing" without moving his lips! In theory, the added dialogue can be removed, as I believe has been suggested.

"Hey, String!"
Go to Top of Page

corvettekid_7684 Offline

United States
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  15:07:49  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt I will do another edit. It was just a matter of playing around with 2 VCR's and trying to cut in the extra and/or better scenes into the original pilot version.

Darkstar98, there isnt really a "director's cut". There is an "R" rated version that was made to act as a stand alone movie, to cash in on video rentals and compete with the likes of Blue Thunder and Firefox. They dubbed in a lot of swearing to give it an "R" rating simply because such movies rent better. Some of the difference between the "pilot episode" and the "R" is that some scenes are extended, like the test at Redstar Control and when Hawke is stealing Airwolf back out of the courtyard. There are a couple of added scenes from the episodes "Mad over Miami" and "And They Are Us" (I think, dont quote me please!!) The scenes which lead the pilot episode into the series are also removed, so the isnt any mention of the FIRM looking for Sinjin, or about Hawke keeping Airwolf. He just flies off into the sunset at the end...(borrowed from Mad over Miami)
Some of the scenes are kinda moved around to accommodate that. I also noticed some small changes that were odd, like the radar screen at Red Star is different. A couple bloopers were also corrected.

Go to Top of Page

C00nhunterJoe Offline
Webmaster
Airwolf

Airwolf

United States
3506 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  05:14:11  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
the missile's chasing moffet "blooper" fix was a mistake, the origonal cut is the correct one, they created a blooper by changing it for the movie....

to contact me or report a problem, please PM me
Go to Top of Page

kalasadi Offline

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  10:19:47  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it can be done at home then! This sounds like a summer project for someone on here! Come on your techie guys-I for one would love a copy!

It is a real pity that the 18 version did not keep the all of the stuff for the TV-usually its the other way round!

________________________________________________________________________________________
Go to my home page to read Airwolf Novel And I, Vice Versa, AW2 Legacy, AW3 Rule the World and coming soon Lies and Shadows

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

corvettekid_7684 Offline

United States
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  16:39:57  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the missile chasing Moffet blooper is an opinion. I know they say that one of off track, but it always looked wrong to me...
The other blooper is a the "3 months later" thing.

The reason for removing some scenes was just so it would be a stand alone movie. In my version I left these in, of coarse.

I wish I wouldnt have given it away!!

Go to Top of Page

Martin G. Grant Offline
Star Member

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  19:25:34  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C00nhunterJoe

the missile's chasing moffet "blooper" fix was a mistake, the origonal cut is the correct one, they created a blooper by changing it for the movie....

But they looked worse, because they weren't as sharp or fast, they were slightly slower and soft looking.

Also, when thinking about it recently, I don't think it was that much of a blooper, because just after it occurs, you hear Mark the Co-Pilot: "I have 4 radar-controlled missiles. 3 are OFF-TARGET."

Since thinking about it, I now look at it as ONE of those 3 OFF-TARGET missiles going off-target already, before we hear Mark's dialouge.
Go to Top of Page

TheWraith517 Offline
Star Member

United Kingdom
2294 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  20:29:23  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
this could be done (atleast an extended version) other footage could also be used from other actual things, a lot of footage from a "columbo" episode could be used that show'd a few alternate views of kadafis palace, just imagination & drive space and its defo do'able

--------------------------
Q) How to keep updated on my work?
A) http://www.thewraith517.blogspot.co.uk
B) http://www.airwolfofpcwa.blogspot.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

goldsmith 3rd Offline
Star Member

United Kingdom
3043 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  21:14:08  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have also this version of the pilot movie on vhs. I think it would be ace to find the bits that arnt on the dvd version and cut the bits in from the vhs version. the picture is the vhs version i have

Generating an ear-bursting howl, it rises slowly into view from behind a low desert hill, like a predator leaving its lair. There is only one word to describe it........ awesome!

Taken from the script of Airwolf the movie aka the pilot

www.facebook.com/goldsmith3rd

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/airwolfofp?ap=1
airwolf season 4 episode 1) i will check our files and verify what im saying ......... in the meantime be patient.......i haaaaaaaaaaave

Edited by - goldsmith 3rd on 04/11/2008 21:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:56:35  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Movie version was released and re-released on VHS a few times, at least in the UK, wasn't it? How many times, though? I'm guessing about four; first on rental in the mid-to-late 80s, then on sell-through a while later (usually a sell-through version of CIC videos would have the sleeve artwork in the foreground while the background would be diagonal red or blue stripes), then on sell-through again, but in an "Airwolf Collection" that had just The Movie, AW2 and AW: The Stavograd Incident, all three in red/orange sleeves, with the final version being the "Action Men" video shown in Goldsmith 3rd's post.

"Hey, String!"
Go to Top of Page

kalasadi Offline

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  00:44:26  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 3 different VHS of the 18

The CIC one which Stringbean has as the avatar

The CIC HIFI version which has orange background and pictures of Hawke shooting up the Summer Palace and on the back the camera angle of airwolf having shot up the Summer Palace

The universal one the action men-volume 1 where String and Dom are on the front with the test range of russian weapons at redstar control, the Late David Hemmings pictured as Moffet in the jeep doing russian roulette with Gabrielle (Gabrielle out of sight) and Airwolf herself taking off from the Summer Palace

Are there anymore?

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

strokemondeo Offline
Webmaster
Airwolf
Blue Thunder

Airwolf
Blue Thunder

United Kingdom
4537 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  01:14:20  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is a pic of one of my sets ...

and here is another with 2 more VHS cant find the third at the min ? ..

" poised in the air , wavering ever so slightly from side to side , the aircraft almost seemed to be a living entity unto itself "
from Ron Renaulds opening to the novel "airwolf"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to contact me or report a problem, please PM me straight away , if you havenīt received a reply to your initial pm within 48 hours .... then please use my email address ...... strokemondeo@yahoo.com , and place " Airwolf.org " into your title , so it doesnīt go into the spam folder .... ( thank you )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Martin G. Grant Offline
Star Member

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  01:15:46  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheWraith517

this could be done (atleast an extended version) other footage could also be used from other actual things, a lot of footage from a "columbo" episode could be used that show'd a few alternate views of kadafis palace, just imagination & drive space and its defo do'able

Which episode of "COLUMBO" exactly was that? Clark mentioned it in Issue #1 of TWL.
Go to Top of Page

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  12:05:50  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalasadi

I have 3 different VHS of the 18

The CIC one which Stringbean has as the avatar

The CIC HIFI version which has orange background and pictures of Hawke shooting up the Summer Palace and on the back the camera angle of airwolf having shot up the Summer Palace

The universal one the action men-volume 1 where String and Dom are on the front with the test range of russian weapons at redstar control, the Late David Hemmings pictured as Moffet in the jeep doing russian roulette with Gabrielle (Gabrielle out of sight) and Airwolf herself taking off from the Summer Palace

Are there anymore?

The CIC video art with the art that I use as an avatar is, I suspect, the first VHS release, possibly for rental. I have what I think is the second release which uses similar artwork, but as I said the front and back art is reduced in size slightly and on a background of diagonal stripes. (Most CIC VHS releases on sell through were, IIRC, given this sleeve design of artwork on stripes) I also have the one with the orange background and String on the cover firing a machine gun. So it looks as if there have been four different releases of The Movie on VHS in the UK. Unless anyone knows of any others?

"Hey, String!"

Edited by - Stringbean Hawk on 04/14/2008 12:07:08
Go to Top of Page

kalasadi Offline

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  15:51:26  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am missing the fourth one then!

Runs off to ebay this instant!

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:54:12  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked around for images of the sleeve art for what I believe to be the VHS releases - in the UK, that is - of Airwolf The Movie. Hopefully, here they should be in order of release.

Mid-to-late 80s rental release

Late 80s sell-through re-release

90s sell-through re-release

Most recent sell-through re-release circa 1999.

"Hey, String!"

Edited by - Stringbean Hawk on 04/15/2008 11:13:26
Go to Top of Page

kalasadi Offline

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  20:20:35  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stringbean you are a star!

Its the rental one I am missing! Will search for that then!

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Stringbean Hawk Offline

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  11:11:46  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw shucks! You're only saying that - but you're right!

Incidentally, of the four examples I've shown, I have the second and third. I wouldn't mind bagging the first one, though.

"Hey, String!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
= Offline, = Away, = Online
tv-series.com © 1994-2010 tv-series.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000