Airwolf
 Hawke's Romantic Relationships Through the Show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  15:50:13  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is about Stringfellow Hawke's romantic relationships. The actual romances that we learned about on the show. So feel free to post your opinions on any of Hawke's romances, how they came about, how they fit into the show, which ones you liked and which ones you didn't like and Hawke's character with those women.

My take..........

First, Stringfellow Hawke did not have to be in love with a woman to have sex with her. This we know for a fact. And that was Season 1 Stringfellow Hawke. Why do I say that? Because we know he had sex with Nhi Huong ("Daddy's Gone a Hunt'n") and we know he didn't love her because she didn't die. (Back in Season 1 everyone he loved except Dominic had died.) Nhi lived through the relationship; therefore, ipso facto, he wasn't in love with her. But he still had sex with her.

In Season 1 Hawke went to Vietnam right after his initial training as he was there in 1969 when he was only 19. He stayed in Vietnam after the war until Saigon fell in 1975.

So I figure -- and this is just me figuring it -- that when he got back to the States in 1975 that he had a fairly active sex life with women he wasn't in love with. I mean, come on, it was the 70s. He was finally back home. He was young. Virile. Incredibly good looking. He had a healthy body with the normal urges. Casual sex was the norm. AIDS wasn't even on the horizon. Worst STD out there was herpes; it was incurable and that still didn't get men to wear condoms. Birth control was the woman's responsibility.

And this period of Hawke's life is important in the timeline of the show because this would be the period of Hawke's life when he knocked Tess "Day of Jeopardy" up. (Caveat, I haven't seen that episode since 1986 so I don't know if it gives any contradictory dating info.) And we know Hawke didn't love Tess because she didn't die. He just slept with her. This is also the period when Dominic became familiar with Hawke's fondness for leaving bars by the back way. He had to establish that trait sometime and this seems the period of his life to do it. (Because Hawke was too young to be bar hopping before he left for Vietnam as the drinking age in California was and is 21.) And anyone who thinks that Stringfellow Hawke's entire sexual history before Gabrielle through the “Free Love” 60s and the “Me Decade” 70s was just three: the high school girlfriend/fiance, Nhi Huong and Tess, please raise your hand.

So I figured that he was in this "having a lot of sex" period for a while before he got, oh, pick your term -- tired, jaded, unfulfilled, empty -- by it.

And the one element from Season 3 that I actually do think fits perfectly into this back story is Tess. He may not have loved her. But he would have loved his own child. He could have been looking forward to having a family again after years of being without anyone but Dominic. Tess' abortion would have hurt. This is a man who cares deeply for family, would risk anything for family -- look what he did when he only suspected that Ho Minh was his son in "Daddy's Gone a Hunt'n". And his child's life had been ended and he'd been powerless to save him/her as he'd been powerless to save the other people he'd lost.

All of this would have caused him to withdraw and by 1984 when we meet him, he's living that "nearly monastic life" as the Airwolf Bible calls it.

Enter Gabrielle.....

Do I think Stringfellow and Gabrielle were in love? There's a line that Sir Anthony Hopkins says in a movie. I don't care that much for the movie, but this is an unforgettable line. He's speaking of the character played by Nicole Kidman, who he is having a relationship with sometime after the death of his wife.

"Granted, she's not my first love. Granted, she's not my great love. But she is sure as hell my last love. Doesn't that count for something?"

I think there was a strong attraction there, passion.......and the beginnings of love. Yes, I think Stringfellow Hawke was starting to fall in love with Gabrielle and Gabrielle Admuir was falling in love with Stringfellow. I think that her dying thoughts were of Stringfellow and the eagle was significant. When you're dying you think of what's important to you, not what's trivial and Gabrielle's time in the cabin with Stringfellow was important to her. That and her promise to him were what she clung to as she tried to cling to her life.

So, love, yes. His "great" love, the one he was meant to spend his life with, probably not. She had an incompatible career for his psychological make-up.

Now we have the rest of Season 1. And in Season 1 the death of Gabrielle does haunt. It's there in "Bite of the Jackal" (Archangel: "She's a top pilot." Hawke, as he refuses to let Archangel's assistant go on the mission: "So was Gabrielle"), in "One Way Express" when Archangel uses Gabrielle's death to goad Hawke into trying to trap Maurice and in "Echos from the Past" when he thinks of Gabrielle when he's drugged.

And in Season 1 we never see Stringfellow Hawke act on an attraction to another woman. And the attractions were there: Sarah Lebow (Fight Like a Dove) where they kiss but only in the credits, Toni Donatelli (To Snare a Wolf) where he invites her to stay in the cabin but only in the script. The closest we saw Hawke to acting on an attraction was Lea Logana (And They Are Us) and nothing was going to be happening there because she was married. So they wisely decided not to have Stringfellow Hawke actually get involved with another woman for the rest of Season 1.

Then comes Season 2 and this is where things start to fall apart. Because it was deliberately not the same character as Season 1 Stringfellow Hawke. This wasn't planned as some kind of natural progression of growth of the character. It was an intentional severing of the old character. (And I bled from that cut, even if the new Stringfellow Hawk did not.)

However, even in Season 2 we don't see Hawke acting on an attraction for a woman until “The Hunted” when he asks Rosalind to dance. And here's where my memory gets fuzzy for details because I haven't seen some of these shows since 1984. The next woman I recall Hawke being interested in and doing something about was the accountant in “Flight #093 Is Missing.” The first woman I remember Hawke kissing is the dying detective in “Random Target” and he kissed her because she was dying. There was the romance with the country singer in “Out of the Sky.”

By the third season we were into what I refer to as the “woman of the week” episodes, even though that's not fair because it wasn't every week. The “woman of the week” rotated with the “child of the week” and the “handicapped person of the week.”

I'm not about to explain that in terms of the character of Stringfellow Hawke, because it was not the same Stringfellow Hawke.

So I'm going to take a different tack. Why didn't I believe that Stringfellow Hawke loved those women?

I'll say it's because of Jan-Michael Vincent. I've seen his work from the 70s and early 80s. If Jan-Michael Vincent's character was supposed to be in love with a woman, I totally believed he was in love with the woman. It could have been on “Buster and Billie” where the romance took time to develop or it might have been in “Sandcastles” where it was two people who had been searching for each other, predestined to fall in love, but who met too late or “Winds of War” with its instant, sizzling attraction or maybe we were dropped into the middle of a romance like in “White Line Fever” but each and every time Jan-Michael Vincent made me believe that his character loved these women. Fully and completely.

Starting in the second season of Airwolf and definitely by the third season, Jan-Michael Vincent no longer had the acting chops to make me believe. Or to be precise, his acting chops were too dulled by substance abuse.

So, no, I didn't buy those relationships as any kind of love. But, I'll say this: If Jan-Michael Vincent had still had his acting chops and he had wanted me to believe that that Stringfellow Hawke loved those women – I would have.

And the one "woman of the week" I thought was the best fit for him was Roan Carver from "Eagles." She's beautiful, strong, intelligent and mature. (Nothing ditzy about Roan Carver.) Like Hawke she had a strong sense of black and white, right and wrong. The way she pushed the envelope on that prototype plane reminded me of Season 1 "Fight Like a Dove" when Hawke maxed out Airwolf on altitude taking her up until she was almost a space ship just to see if he could. Like him Roan was a test pilot and a risk taker. Being a gifted pilot, I think that if she had gotten behind the controls of Airwolf and she would have been able to fly her without needing to be taught. (Like Dominic and Doc didn't need to be taught. They were just that good at flying.) When I saw "Eagles" it was the one episode where I sat there watching thinking, "Her!! They finally got a woman I can actually believe Stringfellow Hawke would fall for. How could he not fall for her, she was so perfect for him." So, when Hawke, smart man that he was, of course fell for her, I cheered. I liked Roan enough that I actually hoped they'd keep her character around as his regular girlfriend, but a regular romance wasn't what they were writing in Season 3.

Explore the paintings from Stringfellow Hawke´s cabin at the Hawke´s Cove Art Collection.......
http://series.airwolf.tv/briefings/hcac/

Edited by - MargaretA on 11/21/2009 16:21:31

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  17:42:21  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm not sure you are right regarding Nhi Houng. The fact she didn't die doesn't necessarily mean String didn't love her, perhaps Michael didn't even know she existed when he told Gabrielle about String's loved ones which had all died Except for one.

I do agree with the last paragraph regarding Jan though, it was most obvious in 'Winds of war" However, it could just be Jan played String differently, as String was supposed to be a more introverted character, therefore showing less feelings.
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  18:38:11  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gillian_a

Oh, I'm not sure you are right regarding Nhi Houng. The fact she didn't die doesn't necessarily mean String didn't love her, perhaps Michael didn't even know she existed when he told Gabrielle about String's loved ones which had all died Except for one.

That's the whole point of this thread -- for people to discuss their impressions of Hawke's romances. I expect there's a variety of views about them. Did you think that Hawke was in love with Tess?

quote:

I do agree with the last paragraph regarding Jan though, it was most obvious in 'Winds of war" However, it could just be Jan played String differently, as String was supposed to be a more introverted character, therefore showing less feelings.

Jan-Michael Vincent did play being in love differently depending on the character. Each time it fit that character. It's been a wonderful experience watching his pre-1985 work, just a real pleasure.

Explore the paintings from Stringfellow Hawke´s cabin at the Hawke´s Cove Art Collection.......

Edited by - MargaretA on 11/21/2009 18:45:30
Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  16:58:58  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know very little about String's relationship with Tess. What we do know is that obviously, he's not to fond of birth control means, based on the facts he probably got two women pregnant unintentionally, HEHE.

However, it is implied that the two had a rather long, serious so to speak, ongoing relationship and it is clarified that String was interested in having the child Tess eventually aborted, so I can imagine there was love there, yes.
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  18:42:45  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We know very little about String's relationship with Tess. What we do know is that obviously, he's not to fond of birth control means, based on the facts he probably got two women pregnant unintentionally, HEHE.

It was the pill. I swear, the pill came out and American men started rejoicing, "Free at last!!!" and abdicated any responsibility until AIDS. For twenty years it was entirely up to the woman: the pill, the diaphragm, the IUD, the sponge. Looking back, the startling thing there is how accepted the idea was that it was the woman's responsibility, not the man's. Clearly Stringfellow Hawke went along with that idea.
quote:

However, it is implied that the two had a rather long, serious so to speak, ongoing relationship and it is clarified that String was interested in having the child Tess eventually aborted, so I can imagine there was love there, yes.

Cannot imagine aborting Stringfellow Hawke's child especially if in love with the man.

Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  18:44:44  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MargaretA

quote:

Jan-Michael Vincent did play being in love differently depending on the character. Each time it fit that character. It's been a wonderful experience watching his pre-1985 work, just a real pleasure.

I was thinking about this. I've seen Jan-Michael Vincent in three different roles where he was crying over the body of the woman he loved. And you think, "How much variation can there be in that -- cradling the body while crying over it?" The answer, as far as Jan-Michael Vincent is concerned, was "A Lot." Each one of his reactions was very different from the other. Each was tailored for that character. And I don't think it was deliberately planned and thought out by Jan-Michael Vincent. It just seemed to be a natural gift he had to understand the nuances of each individual character that he played. So Stringfellow Hawke's reaction over Gabrielle was the most self-contained because Stringfellow Hawke was the most self-contained of the characters. What an amazing actor he once was.

Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  16:19:29  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It was the pill. I swear, the pill came out and American men started rejoicing, "Free at last!!!" and abdicated any responsibility until AIDS. For twenty years it was entirely up to the woman: the pill, the diaphragm, the IUD, the sponge. Looking back, the startling thing there is how accepted the idea was that it was the woman's responsibility, not the man's. Clearly Stringfellow Hawke went along with that idea.
quote:

Cannot imagine aborting Stringfellow Hawke's child especially if in love with the man.

I agree - startling indeed. However, where String's concerned - it could be he just didn't give it too much though. You know what they say about men...

And as for aborting String's child - can't imagine that either, actually, I was quite shocked at the revelation. I remember thinking: Gees, the woman must be totally out of her mind!
Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  16:31:18  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I meant!
And yes, Jan was a most amazing actor, it is hard to find such quality in actors nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  04:31:09  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree - startling indeed. However, where String's concerned - it could be he just didn't give it too much though. You know what they say about men...

Since he obviously didn't practice birth control even when he was thinking clearly and not brainwashed, I've speculated if Hawke might have gotten Angelica pregnant in "The Horn of Plenty". Then I try to imagine what that child would be like if raised in the environment of John Bradford Horn's household. That possibility frightens me because the resulting person could be extremely dangerous and deadly. Imagine Stringfellow Hawke's determination, stubborness and ability in a person with Horn's amorality and malignant narcissism backed up with all the privilege that huge amounts of money brings.

quote:

quote:

And as for aborting String's child - can't imagine that either, actually, I was quite shocked at the revelation. I remember thinking: Gees, the woman must be totally out of her mind!

LOL. That is exactly the reaction I had, too. Crazy. I could never, not in a million years, have done that to Stringfellow Hawke's child.

I think Stringfellow Hawke would make a great dad. He clearly had two wonderful fathers: his father and Dominic Santini. He knows what good parenting is and that's important.

I feel that happy children come from happy marriages. My impression is the grandparents loved each other very much and did a good job raising either the mom or dad. (We never knew which side.) And I think the parents were crazy about one another and turned out two very fine boys. He came from a happy and loving home. So I think that Stringfellow Hawke has the knowledge and the skills to be a great dad.

One of my all time favorite series of screencaps is from "Daddy's Gone a Hunt'n." Every time I look at them I think what a wonderful father Stringfellow Hawke would make. These just melt my heart:

Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  06:37:44  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are great screencaps, Margaret! As soon as I finish Season 4, I'll be back to Shadow of the Hawke and then onto this episode, of course.

Who wouldn't want a hug from that man?!

Eric

"Do you think that you and your compadres might be able to help us repair that thing out there that´s responsible for the destruction of your peace and the elimination of eggs in your sister´s diet?" - Stringfellow Hawke
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  16:22:04  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shep2112

Those are great screencaps, Margaret! As soon as I finish Season 4, I'll be back to Shadow of the Hawke and then onto this episode, of course.

Glad you liked them. They really are some of my absolute favorites.
quote:

Eric

I want a hug from that man!! Lots and lots of them.

Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  16:31:27  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed Margaret this is one memorable scene, and I too am certain String would make a wonderful dad.
Go to Top of Page

jermaineoneal Offline

Belgium
751 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  19:14:44  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the chemistry / affection between String & Tess.
A lot of unfinished business.
That's why Jeopardy is 1 of my fav S3 episodes.
Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  20:23:00  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Don't worry, I'm not going to say 'in the bedroom'..

Eric

"Do you think that you and your compadres might be able to help us repair that thing out there that´s responsible for the destruction of your peace and the elimination of eggs in your sister´s diet?" - Stringfellow Hawke
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  22:01:17  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't worry, I'm not going to say 'in the bedroom'..

Eric

Then I will! I want lots and lots of hugs from that man in the bedroom! (To start with. And finishing with a hug is also nice. I like cuddling afterward.)

Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  23:32:31  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then I will! I want lots and lots of hugs from that man in the bedroom! (To start with. And finishing with a hug is also nice. I like cuddling afterward.)

SAUCY!

Eric

Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  00:49:27  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

SAUCY!

Eric

Like I said anything in that post you weren't well aware of.

Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  00:51:50  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed Margaret this is one memorable scene, and I too am certain String would make a wonderful dad.

If the show had gone on for a fourth season with the original cast you might have had a chance to find out what Stringfellow Hawke was like as a father with Le Van since the third season ended with the "I'll be your dad" statement.

I wonder if they would have seriously kept Le Van around as a regular cast member? I shudder to think of the kind of juvenile storylines that would have meant. And now the "woman of the week" would have to interact with Le Van as well so we'd get to see her as a potential mother. Maybe they'd even add a "Courtship of Le Van's Father" element to the shows with Le Van trying to fix up Hawke. That boy had lost his father, mother, uncle (not a big loss there), and aunt, home country and old home all in a short period of time. He'd be living in a new home and all these different women would be passing through his life and it wouldn't phase him at all. TV -- shaking my head. Heaven forbid they portray psychological consequences accurately.

But this was Airwolf. The show where you could put people through the most horrendous experiences and they'd be fine afterward. When, in reality, they'd probably all have PTSD.

Ironic that Le Van would have been portrayed in Airwolf as having no problems from his life while Roland Harrah, who played Le Van, ended up committing suicide as a very young man at the age of only 21.

Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  00:54:52  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jermaineoneal

I've always liked the chemistry / affection between String & Tess.
A lot of unfinished business.
That's why Jeopardy is 1 of my fav S3 episodes.

I prefer the hostility and coldness between them. For some inexplicable reason Anne Lockhart (Tess) is just one of those actresses who has always rubbed me the wrong way. (This pre-dates Airwolf.) So I enjoyed her being a dirty cop and dying on "Random Target." I see Anne Lockhart every year, briefly, on the Tournament of Roses Parade with her horse group. She's probably a perfectly nice person who I'd like if I met her in real life, but on screen she grates at me for some reason.

But so far that's two people who think that Hawke and Tess had been in love.

Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  07:09:05  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, Season 4 picking up where Season 3 left off sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least in 'normal Airwolf' terms. It would be more like Little House on the Prairie, except in the mountains. And with a bigger, nicer house. And no one going blind in one season and magically regaining sight in a later season..

I think Anne Lockhart makes a good mean woman/secret baddie character, but it's tough to 'like' her. I agree, she's probably very nice in real life. It's like seeing Anthony Hopkins in something and being secretly worried he wants to eat one of the other characters. Or Cathy Bates will tie someone down and hit their feet with a sledgehammer... Or maybe it's something else you're describing?

I thought they had been in love, but 'too young' whatever that means.. Because I think that's what they said in the show.. But it was a bit of a bombshell moment thinking there was someone before Gabrielle.. Yes, I read your thoughts on String in the 60s and 70s, and it all makes sense of course. I just choose not to bear that in mind, apparently.. I'm not in control of my thoughts anyway.

Eric

Edited by - Shep2112 on 11/25/2009 07:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  19:13:36  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found about Roland's Harra in your other post (Airwolf actors deaths). How tragic...
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  22:46:27  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point, Season 4 picking up where Season 3 left off sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least in 'normal Airwolf' terms. It would be more like Little House on the Prairie, except in the mountains. And with a bigger, nicer house. And no one going blind in one season and magically regaining sight in a later season..

Well, I don't know about that. Michael seems to have magically regained the use of his leg. He runs. They actually show Archangel playing polo. You can ride a horse with a crippled leg. You cannot play polo with one. Polo players are known to have "thighs of iron." They are depending entirely upon their legs to keep them on the horse. And with that lighter "black out" lens, you can see his eye whole and working through it.

But you did mention the only possible saving grace for a season four with Le Van. At least they might have shown the cabin more (which certainly is a much nicer house than in "Little House" and has better decorations ) with all those father-son moments. I'd have watched for that.

Otherwise -- well, do you remember the storyline proposed in this thread by Fair Owl?
http://airwolf.tv-series.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7381
We'd have been getting stories like that.

quote:

I think Anne Lockhart makes a good mean woman/secret baddie character, but it's tough to 'like' her. I agree, she's probably very nice in real life. It's like seeing Anthony Hopkins in something and being secretly worried he wants to eat one of the other characters. Or Cathy Bates will tie someone down and hit their feet with a sledgehammer... Or maybe it's something else you're describing?

Maybe that's it. It's like watching Jack Nicholson in "The Shining" -- to me the surprise is when Jack Nicholson doesn't go crazy in a movie and start trying to kill everyone around him. Or at the very least, completely lose his cool and get furiously angry with everyone. (BTW, one time when I was in LA I was at the lingerie museum in Victoria's Secret on Hollywood Blvd. There was a two man film crew in there and I overheard them talking about what it had been like working Jack Nicholson -- not a nice man on the set, a real pain in the @ss to work with, with a bad attitude. No surprise.)

Anne Lockhart just doesn't fit in the roles she's too often cast in. At least to me. I just don't buy her in them. So she ends up grating on me. I could picture her as the beautiful, smart evil scientist especially at her current age.

But, in the final analysis, I also don't think she's a very good actor. Oh, she's not awful; she's competent. But it's like a Pia Zadora or a Barry Van Dyke or (in today's world) a David Boreanz -- I just don't think she brings any real depth to her roles; it's as shallow as an oil spill on water. If she were a one-off guest star I probably wouldn't have noticed, but I've seen her often enough that I do know who she is and I do notice. I compare that to a Eugene Roche who I've only seen in guest roles, but is fantastic in them like as the father of the son who died in Vietnam eating Christmas dinner with a man who turns out to be draft dodger in "All in the Family."

quote:

I thought they had been in love, but 'too young' whatever that means.. Because I think that's what they said in the show.. But it was a bit of a bombshell moment thinking there was someone before Gabrielle..

That's partly why I minimize Tess. That and I still hold with everyone Stringfellow Hawke loved died prior to 1984 except for Dominic Santini. I figure you can casually date a woman for quite a while without loving her and you can even get her pregnant without loving her and you can be furious over her killing that child even if you didn't plan on marrying her. But I can accept other people seeing it differently and I know I'm biased against Anne Lockhart's portrayal. And biased in favor of not retconning Stringfellow Hawke's pre-1984 history but trying to fit Tess into that context.

But as for "too young" Hawke had to have been at least 25 at the time since he didn't get back to the States until 1975.

At the time did you remember that there were already two females before Gabrielle? The high school girlfriend/fiance and we know Stringfellow Hawke was in love with her. And there was Nhi Houng who we know he had sex with and probably got pregnant. (Speaking of, it's eerie to me just how much Chad Allen grew up to look like Jan-Michael Vincent. The jawlines are strikingly similar. The narrow blue eyes. The hair. If Sam Roper ever saw Stringfellow Hawke and "Stringfellow" Roper together once he was in his late teens, he'd have to be a blind man not to realize that Hawke was the biological father of the child.)

quote:

Yes, I read your thoughts on String in the 60s and 70s, and it all makes sense of course. I just choose not to bear that in mind, apparently.. I'm not in control of my thoughts anyway.

Eric

That explains a lot.

Edited by - MargaretA on 11/25/2009 23:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Gillian_a Offline
Webmaster
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Israel
4156 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  23:34:23  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ann is not a too good of an actress, to put it subtle.
Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  04:55:23  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Margaret, you write too much! Just kidding!

Yeah, I agree, I expect Jack to go nuts whenever I see him too. He was good in the movie 'Wolf' (1994). He was a werewolf, and so he was half normal, half crazy. What was the other one, As Good As It Gets, I think.. He had some great insults in that one. The bucket list he didn't really kill anyone though, did he? I guess eventually, sure..

I don't think I'd like to see Le Van *often* as an integral part of the show, but it might be nice as an 'end of the day back in the cabin' thing to see him every now and again. But if it was an ongoing thing, where he was undercover like in Birds of Paradise.. Ugg, I don't think I could handle that. Especially not with the Miami Vice style. I suppose Miami Vice lost the Miami Vice style towards the end of the show, and if Airwolf survived that long, hopefully it would lose that style too.

Does anyone know if when Season 3 was being filmed and getting to the last few episodes, if the cast/crew knew that was the end of the show? Or was it just not renewed between 3 and 4, and they hoped it would continue but then wasn't picked up for a 4th season?

I don't know anything about Chad Allen. I've never even heard his name outside of this forum and the episode he was in. Maybe he looks similar, but that was lost on me.

Eric

Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  04:56:29  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ann is not a too good of an actress, to put it subtle.

She must be good in some roles, or we wouldn't know about her, and she wouldn't still be popular in some capacity, would she?

Eric

Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  06:41:57  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Margaret, you write too much! Just kidding!

Pot, Kettle

But, at the moment, I do have a lot of threads going.

quote:

I don't think I'd like to see Le Van *often* as an integral part of the show, but it might be nice as an 'end of the day back in the cabin' thing to see him every now and again. But if it was an ongoing thing, where he was undercover like in Birds of Paradise.. Ugg, I don't think I could handle that. Especially not with the Miami Vice style. I suppose Miami Vice lost the Miami Vice style towards the end of the show, and if Airwolf survived that long, hopefully it would lose that style too.

Unfortunately, if they kept him around I think he would have been integral like the "Birds of Paradise" episode. By the third season it was that "woman/child/handicap person of the week" rotation. Now they had their own full time kid. All part of the reason I wasn't really upset when Airwolf got the ax.

That Miami Vice style was just awful. But by then the show had lost everything that had made it "real Airwolf" except the chopper was still in it.

quote:

Does anyone know if when Season 3 was being filmed and getting to the last few episodes, if the cast/crew knew that was the end of the show? Or was it just not renewed between 3 and 4, and they hoped it would continue but then wasn't picked up for a 4th season?

According to that interview WolfHaven did with Jean Bruce Scott, they had a feeling it was going to be canceled. Jean Bruce Scott was sure enough she removed something from the set as a souvenir though WolfHaven withheld exactly what it was. (She wanted to save it for her behind the scenes Airwolf book she was writing. Then she completely disappeared. Don't know if she's been working on the book or not. Her status shows as "online" but the last post I saw by her was well over a year ago.)

quote:

I don't know anything about Chad Allen. I've never even heard his name outside of this forum and the episode he was in. Maybe he looks similar, but that was lost on me.

Eric

He was a big teen star. "My Two Dads" and then "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman." As "Stringfellow Hawke's son" I've kept an eye out for him through the years in addition to the fact I watched both those shows.

This is from the "My Two Dads" time period

Here he is from "Dr Quinn" at late teens or early twenties

And this would be pretty current. He's now 35 years old.
In the show Ho Minh was 12 at the time making him 37 now. That kind of blows my mind. Stringfellow Hawke's son is now older than Hawke was at the time he found out about Ho Minh.

Now does he look more like Stringfellow Hawke or Sam Roper? That's a rhetorical question.

Edited by - MargaretA on 11/26/2009 18:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:36:10  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I dunno, I'd say he looks more like Anthony Michael Hall when he was on The Dead Zone:

What do you think?

I don't recognize him from any of those shows, but then I really didn't watch them much either.

Sorry for widening the page, the images are better appreciated side by side though.

Eric

Edited by - Shep2112 on 12/03/2009 12:37:02
Go to Top of Page

MargaretA Offline

United States
863 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  10:11:39  Show Profile Offline  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now Anthony Michael Hall, there's a guy who I didn't recognize from those teenage 80s movies when I saw him all grown up. Testosterone sure can make a difference with you XY types.

Yes, there's a resemblance now, but Chad Allen wasn't playing AMH's son. So I still say he looks a lot more like Captain Stringfellow Hawke than Major Sam Roper.

Go to Top of Page

Shep2112 Away
Star Member

United States
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  06:40:50  Show Profile Away  Send Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now Anthony Michael Hall, there's a guy who I didn't recognize from those teenage 80s movies when I saw him all grown up. Testosterone sure can make a difference with you XY types.

Yes, there's a resemblance now, but Chad Allen wasn't playing AMH's son. So I still say he looks a lot more like Captain Stringfellow Hawke than Major Sam Roper.

Yeah he changed a lot. I never knew the lisp/nerdy guy he played was entirely an act. Since he was basically the same character in a few movies (Weird Science, The Breakfast Club, etc). I thought that was just *him*.. But it wasn't. So when I saw him on The Dead Zone, I of course wondered how he changed so much.. Probably like my impression of JMV after Airwolf, eh?

True, Anthony Michael Hall didn't play his father on Airwolf, but the resemblance is uncanny. There are no cans involved, in other words.

Yeah he looks more like String, but doesn't really look like String. Maybe before Anthony Michael Hall made a girl in Weird Science, he made an Amer-Asian boy? (sorry! )

Eric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
= Offline, = Away, = Online
tv-series.com © 1994-2010 tv-series.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000